Monday, May 10, 2010

Long Long ago


This was a long time ago. This is a picture taking while I worked on a Apple 2e I think in Tom Sorelle’s apartment. During this time of my life I was a special education teacher, teaching 6-10 year old mentally retarded children in the Houston Independent School district.


Every day that I went to school I packed up this computer in a case plus a printer and took then to school with me. I used the computer to help the children learn shapes, colors and if capable, could learn to recognize the own name in printed form. My principal would not come into my room because he did not know what the hell was going on. Seems like none of the administrative downtown staff did either.

WOOPPEEE! Everybody left me alone which suited me just fine!!

Then came the day in the early eighties when the big boys from downtown administration came to my school! They were evaluating us teachers and gonna tell us how to run our classrooms by something called TIME ON TASK!

When they gave me my evaluation they said they had scored me low because my WINDOW SHADES WERE NOT STRAIGHT ACROSS! Also I had to conform to the TIME ON TASK!  even though I was teaching special education children! They then informed me that using a computer in the classroom was not the best WAY TO TEACH and for me not to bring MY COMPUTER to school anymore!

Next day I handed in my resignation because I could not teach special education children under their rules.

So ended my 201/2 years with the Houston Independent School District!

1 comment: